This creamy, luscious, zesty, salty, buttery vegan pasta al limone will leave everyone asking for seconds. The perfect date night meal or just a quick throw it together weeknight dinner. You’ll find yourself soaking cashews on a continuous loop just so you know you can make this pasta at all times! If you use gluten-free pasta, this can also be a gluten-free meal. Great for accommodating lots of different diets.
What You Need For This Perfect Pasta:
- Raw Cashews and Non-dairy Milk: This makes the perfect cream for your Pasta al Limone.
- Lemon Juice and Lemon Zest: Fresh lemon juice and zest is what makes this pasta amazing.
- Vegan Butter: I like Earth Balance and Country Crock.
- Vegan Parmesan: I like to use Follow Your Heart brand for this recipe.
- Pasta: Obviously. This can be any kind of pasta as long as it’s vegan. I like to use fettucine, but whatever your favorite pasta is will work.
- Reserved Pasta Water: To smooth out the sauce and make it extra creamy.
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE anything with lemon and this pasta is where it is at. It’s so tart and bright and wonderful. The lemon with the cream and the vegan Parmesan is the most delicious combo and definitely on heavy rotation during springtime in my house. This vegan pasta al limone is a great place to start with vegan sauces too, it is so easy!
Why Should You Make This Lemony Pasta?
- I mean, only 8 ingredients.
- Is is hands down one of the most delicious things I’ve ever had.
- This sauce, is the creamiest, cheesiest, vegan sauce ever.
- You can make this in about 20 minutes.
- This recipe will impress anyone!
Vegan Pasta al Limone
- 3/4 Cup Raw cashews, soaked*
- 1 Cup Non-dairy milk, unsweetened (I used soy milk)
- 8 Ounces Pasta, I used fettucine
- 1/2 Cup Reserved pasta water, plus more as needed
- 2 teaspoons Lemon zest
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon juice
- 6 Tablespoons Vegan butter, I used Earth Balance
- 1/2 Cup Vegan Parmesan, I used Follow Your Heart
- Salt and pepper to taste
- After soaking your cashews, make a cashew cream. Drain the cashews and add them to a blender. Then add the non-dairy milk to the blender with a pinch of salt and pepper. Blend on high until completely smooth. It may take a few minutes, depending on your blender. Set the cashew cream aside.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, making sure to reserve some pasta water before you drain the pasta.
- Heat a large skillet on medium high and add the lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Add the cashew cream you made to the skillet, and whisk to combine with the lemon juice and zest
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer the sauce for 1-2 minutes it should thicken a bit.
- Add the vegan butter a little at a time to the sauce, whisking until it has all melted into the sauce.
- Add the vegan Parmesan to the sauce, then continue whisking until the Parmesan has melted into the sauce.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, adding black pepper and salt if needed. I always add pepper, but sometimes the Parmesan is salty enough or you just need a bit of salt. It will be pretty tart, but that will work when the pasta/pasta water is added.
- When the pasta is cooked and drained, add the pasta to the skillet and toss to start to coat, now add a little of the pasta water at a time until the sauce is the consistency you want.
- It should be very creamy. Taste again and adjust seasonings. Serve immediately with chives if desired.